Thursday, September 16, 2010

We Love Zines: Volume 2 - Macarons are not Macaroons



This is the zine I wish I had back in May when I decided to make mararons for a friend's hens party and failed. If you have tried to make them before you know what I am talking about. If you had success the first time then you must be some kind of magic fairy robot because I don't think it ever happens, which is what this zine is all about. And obsession. And if there is one thing I love hearing about it's people's obsessions.


The inside cover explains the reason she started was because it "made me seem more cultured at parties" and that hit the nail on the head for me and my attempts to wow people at the hens night. But I failed and had to rely on old faithful, cupcakes.



The zine details the macarons purchased in Melbourne (and honest thoughts on these) the many attempts at making them, the hundreds of dollars spent on ingredients and equipment as well as recipes and tips on how to make them. Or you could just wait in line for some made by Duncan and save yourself some heartache.


Macarons are not Macaroons is available online at Sticky, and for $4 it is worth the investment if you're wanting to give them a go. Duncan's blog Syrup and Tang also has step by step instructions and photographs so is worth looking at as well.




I've not attempted to make them again but rather than give up completely, I thought I would stick to what I know best and make a card about macarons instead: